|Chirag Shetty Quick Info|
|height||6 feet 1 inch|
|Date of birth||4 July 1997|
|eye color||dark brown|
Chirag Shetty is an Indian professional badminton player, who created history in May 2022 as an integral member of the Indian team that won the ‘gold’ medal. Thomas Cup (an international biennial badminton competition between men’s teams representing member countries bwf (Badminton World Federation, the sport’s global governing body) for the first time in history. India had become just the sixth country to win the coveted title after Indonesia (14 titles), China (10), Malaysia (5), Denmark (1) and Japan (1). Representing India, he also won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in the mixed team event; ‘Silver’ medal at the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games in men’s doubles event; and 2016 ‘Bronze’ medal in the men’s team event at Hyderabad Badminton Asia Team Championship as well as 2020 Manila Badminton Asia Team Championship, In November 2019, he had reached his peak world number 7 position in the official bwf Men’s doubles ranking. He had retrieved that peak in March 2022. For his services to the sport, the Government of India honored him Arjuna Award (second highest sporting honor in India) in 2020.
name at birth
Chirag Chandrashekhar Shetty
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Chirag had attended Ryan International School In Malad West, Mumbai. After graduating high school, he joined Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economicsa major college affiliated with Mumbai UniversityA collegiate, public and state-owned university in Mumbai.
professional badminton player
- father – Chandrashekhar Shetty (Hotelier)
- Mother – Sujatha Shetty (Owner of a sports academy)
- siblings Arya Shetty (Sister) (Badminton player)
He is represented by Baseline Ventures, a Sports Marketing, Entertainment and Brand Licensing Company, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
6 feet 1 inch or 185.5 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Caste / Ethnicity
- toned physique
- side-parted, slightly raised hair
- friendly smile
- clean shaven look
is sponsored by Chirag Indian Oil Corporation LimitedAn Indian government-owned oil and gas explorer and producer.
Chirag Shetty Facts
- Chirag and his long-term men’s doubles partner, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy, are the first men’s doubles pairing from India to be ranked in the official ‘Top 10’. bwf Men’s doubles ranking. Fans affectionately call their pair as ‘Satchi’.
- In 2019, the pair became the first Indian doubles pair to win BWF Superseries either bwf world tour (Super 500+) title, when he won Thailand Open,
- As of May 2022, he and Satwiksairaj had won 3 titles as a pair – 2018 Hyderabad Open (Super 100), 2019 Thailand Open (Super 500), and 2022 India Open (Super 500) – on bwf world tourA series of elite badminton tournaments sanctioned by bwf, At this stage, the pair 2018. also finished as runner-up in Syed Modi International (Super 300) and 2019 French Open (Super 750) Event.
- Feather BWF International Challenge/Series Tier, the pair had won 6 titles, as of May 2022 – 2016 Mauritius International2016 India International Series2016 Tata Open India International2016 Bangladesh International2017 Vietnam Internationaland 2019 Brazil International,
- In July 2021, when 2020 Tokyo summer Olympics Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the pair were eliminated in the group stage. However, they were the only pair in the entire tournament to beat the eventual ‘gold’ medal winning Taiwanese pair of Lee Yang and Wang Chi-lin.
- In December 2021, he qualified for BWF World Tour Finals (2021 year-end final tournament bwf world tour) for the first time in his career. However, the pair withdrew from the tournament after losing their first group stage match.
- In May 2022, during the group stage of Thomas Cup, they won their doubles match against both Germany and Canada as India won both those rubbers by a margin of 5–0. In India’s last group stage match, against Taiwan (competing under the name ‘Chinese Taipei’), they lost their doubles match against the aforementioned pair of Yang and Chi-Lin, as India were to finish the group stage. Was defeated 3-2. in the second place.
- In the quarter-finals of the tournament, against the five-time champions, Malaysia, Chirag and Satwiksairaj won their doubles match by scores of 21–19, 21–15 to level India 1–1 in a five-match rubber. India won the third and fifth matches of rubber (both singles) by a margin of 3-2.
- In the semi-finals, against former champions Denmark, the script was similar, with India losing the first singles match, then parity restored by Chirag and Satwiksairaj, and then India winning 3rd and 5th matches of the rubber. -2 margin. The only difference was that in all 3 of India’s victories in this rubber, the match was extended to 3 sets as compared to the straight sets win against Malaysia.
- in the 2022 finals Thomas Cup, against favorites and 14-time champions Indonesia, India, for a change, and surprisingly, won the opening singles match to lead the rubber 1-0. The advantage was shared by Chirag and Satwiksairaj, who won their doubles match by scores of 18-21, 23-21, 21-19 in a nail-biting encounter. Srikant Kidambi then won his singles match in straight sets to win 3-0 and wrote a golden chapter in the annals of Indian sports history.
Featured image by Chirag Shetty / Instagram