|Odeon Smith Quick Info|
|height||5 feet 10 inches|
|Date of birth||November 1, 1996|
|eye color||dark brown|
Odeon Smith is a Jamaican professional cricketer who has represented his country in the shorter formats of the game (ODIs and T20Is) as a bowling all-rounder. Before joining the senior national team in the T20I format in April 2018, he was part of the West Indies team that won 2016. Under-19 ICC Cricket World CupWest Indies have achieved this feat for the first time. In the Caribbean domestic circuit, he has played in all 3 formats for his visiting country Jamaica (2017–present) as well as for Trinidad and Tobago (2018–19). In cpl (Caribbean Premier League), he has turned out for Jamaica Tallawahs (2017), The St. Lucia Zooxo (2018), and Guyana Amazon Warriors (2019-present). After his strong performance in the 2021 edition of cplhe was acquired by Punjab Kings (2022-present) for INR 6 Crore (approx USD 800k) IPL (Indian Premier League) Mega Auction was held in February 2022.
name at birth
Odeon Fabian Smith
St. Elizabeth Parish, Cornwall County, Jamaica
He is represented by GGSM (Gillings Global Sports Management) Sports, a full-service sports management agency, Florida, Miami, United States.
- 58 – One Day International (ODI), T20 International (T20I)
- 15 – Jamaica (Caribbean Domestic Cricket), Guyana Amazon Warriors (CPL), Punjab Kings (IPL)
5 feet 10 inches or 178 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Caste / Ethnicity
He is of Afro-Jamaican descent.
- toned physique
- short cut, afro hair
- friendly smile
- Game A Trimmed Goat
Odeon Smith Facts
- In his third and last group stage match of 2016 Under-19 ICC Cricket World CupThe West Indies team was involved in the do or die match against Zimbabwe. Both teams had lost to England and won against Fiji and were locked on 2 points to go into this match, with England having already qualified for the knockout stage with 3 wins from 3 matches. Odion came out to bat at number 11 and West Indies struggled at 191/9 in the 41st over. He hung around the game perfectly and scored an unbeaten 16 off 26 balls, ensuring that his team played their full quota of 50 overs and reached a respectable total of 226/9.
- His knock proved invaluable in the end as West Indies bowled out Zimbabwe by the shortest margin (2 runs) to advance from the group stage. Surprisingly, they played no further role in the tournament as West Indies defeated 2-time champions Pakistan in the quarter-finals to win the title with hosts Bangladesh in the semi-finals and India in the final. For the first time in history.
- He was one of the breakout stars of the 2021 edition cpl, finished joint-second on the number of wickets to his name with 18 dismissals. For his performance, he was included in the ‘Team of the Tournament’ by espncricinfo,
- He then made an immediate impact in his first ODI series against Ireland in January 2022. Although West Indies lost the series 2–1, Odion scored 84 runs in 47 balls in 3 matches, often batting hard. Marking himself as a valuable lower-middle-order option for West Indies in the years to come. He was also involved in the series’ most memorable moment when he hit Irish seamer Joshua Little for a six, as the ball landed outside the stadium and hit Odion’s teammate Sheldon Cottrell’s car.
- Later that month, he found himself at the center of unwanted controversy when he was dropped from the West Indies team’s playing XI after the second match of the 5-match bilateral home T20I series against England. West Indies lost that game, drawing the series 1-1. An unidentified voice note, reportedly recorded by a regional cricket commentator, made it to the Caribbean media. The note alleged that Odion was dropped from the playing XI due to an inherent bias of the team’s management, referring to the decades-old cricket rivalry between the island nations (Jamaica, Barbados, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago, etc.). Is. West Indies.
- CWI (Cricket West Indies), the governing body for the sport in the region as well as the team’s head coach Phil Simmons, both made a strongly worded statement that condemned the note as a nefarious attempt to destroy the unity and harmony of the team. , stating that the decision to replace Odion with Rovman Powell for the third match of the series was purely a cricket one. Rovman scored a scintillating century in that match as West Indies took a 2–1 lead in the series, which they eventually converted into a 3–2 series win.
- on your IPL debut, in Punjab Kings‘ Opening match of 2022 IPL against the weather Royal Challengers Bangalore, he came out to bat on the last ball of the 15th over, keeping the match in balance. with Punjab Kings At 156/5, 50 runs were required from the last 31 balls, chasing a long target of 209. Although it was not a target that was out of the question, Punjab’s victory looked tough as Odion was the last recognized batsman left in the XI.
- He scored 0, 1 and 1 in his first 3 balls and faced his fourth ball when the target seemed impossible of 36 off 18 balls. He then played 6, 4, 6, 1 and 6 in the next 5 balls and scored an unbeaten 25 off just 8 balls at an impressive strike rate of 312.5. By the time their attack came to an end, the equation had become a manageable 11 off 12 balls. Punjab eventually hunted down the target with 6 balls to spare and Odion was named the ‘Player of the Match’ for his highly impressive knock, which declared himself a blazer on the biggest T20 stage in the world.
Featured image by Odeon Smith / Instagram